Sunday, November 01, 2009

HEALTH, NUTRITION AND WELLNESS

Sometimes Easier Said IS easier done!
Recently the good life and living of a chef finally caught up to me front row and center in a dramatic visit to the doctor. In September I started to feel slight pains in my right leg and went to the emergency room. Initially the intern said it was muscle fatigue and with a few days rest all would be fine. Knowing my body better than him, I was not satisfied and requested to see the attending. The attending physician ordered a MRI that revealed I had a blood clot at the entry to my heart. After 2 weeks in the hospital on blood thinners and a harsh reality check I realized change was necessary. A diabetic with high cholesterol and triglycerides was not going to cut it if I wanted to continue to live for any significant length of time.
During my discharge the cardiologist reiterated the seriousness of the issue when he simply asked me “If I wanted to continue to live”. I was stunned and seriously shook up. He prescribed an extreme and merciless diet that would stimulate my metabolism and immediately put me on the road to a swift recovery.
The “Metabolic Syndrome Diet” is a transitional diet that restricts carbohydrates, especially those low in nutrients – such as sweetened beverages, snack foods and baked goods. The intensity of the restrictions is short term and expanded as my specific goals are achieved. Initially when I started on October 1st at 256 pounds I was not allowed any fruits, juice, soda, sweetened beverages or dairy products. No fried meats or fish. No high fat or processed protein foods. "I was a wreck" and went directly to my family doctor’s office, a sat down and cried like a baby. My imagination had gotten the best of me; I was focused on the end not the change. Until that very moment I had not accepted how severe my situation had become and certainly didn’t feel I could manage what seemed like a health fanatic’s rabbit food buffet. After the tears and the initial shock settled I spent a few hours with my doctor, nurse and dietitian who were superb. We addressed my fears and concerns. I am unmistakably a strong black man I love my pig feet, collard greens and macaroni & cheese. Why else would I have spent 60K and 4 years of my life studying and toiling to become a professional chef and food stylist? (1)This diet was not ethnically friendly! (2) I am and always have been a “big boy” I have a hearty appetite. (3) I am spoiled and set in my ways; I like what I like.
The bottom line, it wasn’t working for me and I needed to change or be evicted! Meredith, my dietitian, acknowledged the diet was not ethnically sensitive and together we found acceptable alternatives to better meet my preferences. Dr. Jones scolded “a big frame is different from a fat man”. I should give it a try before complaining about “being hungry”. Finally if my way was working we would not have been having the conversation. If I wanted to be here for future conversations I needed to make changes. I went home determined and willing to meet the challenge. The first thing I did was to enlist the help of my best friends and a neighbor. They took as much of the offenders in my cabinets and refrigerator as they wanted and I disposed of the rest. I went to the grocery store and started restocking with the diet as a guideline and shopping list.The diet requires me to eat five times a day, roughly every 4-5 hours, beginning with breakfast. “When doing it my way” I was only “eating” once a day but snacking generously and continuously between 11:00 AM and 1:00 AM. Breakfast was out of the question unless it was Grits, Buttery Pancakes or French Toast. This is the original version of the diet which is not very ethnically friendly and can be costly. It works well for me after some preferential adjustments.My adopted version of the diet substituted different nuts for the olives. No red meat period in favor of more fish and shrimp. Finally I created a salad dressing to be used on salads and in tuna instead of canola mayonnaise I use 1T of nonfat Greek Yogurt and 2tsp of stone ground or dijon style mustards. For breakfast I add cinnamon, splenda and vanilla extract to the Greek Style Yogut. I only use light colored salad greens and vegetables because dark leafy greens are prohibited while on blood thinners. I am only drinking Crystal Light and water. The diet has proven to be a huge success with my weight dropping from 256 to 235 in the first two weeks. My triglycerides dropped from 720 to 227. My posture and balance had improved tremendously as my overall energy has quadrupled.

4 comments:

Scott said...

Hey TY,
I wish you luck in reaching your goal. As for me I am the same big guy and big boned. And will admit I am over weight.
We meet once at Paco's a few years back.
So best of luck.
Scott~

Nena Nuyorican said...

great, keep up the good work! I'm allergic to seafood so I wouldn't know what to substitute..! Stay well and safe

TY said...

Thanks Scott, the first step to manageing a long life is acknowledging one and we have to work with what we have. A big bone thick boy like me is hanging in there. Pound for pound! See ya at PACOS soom!

TY said...

Nena you have been there with me from almost the beginning! Thanks