Friday, January 02, 2009

STILL IN LOVE!

KWANZAA & NEW YEARS 2009
Wow! I have been blessed to see yet another year, healthy, prosperous and of sane mind and heart! I thought I'd share one of my "WHY" moments. In a conversation recently an aquaintance said to me "people like you make me sick spending all your money, traveling to strange places just for trade". I was very annoyed and angered at the moment it was said but then I thought about it and laughed. It was a light bulb moment for me as I realized I am one of the fortunate few people who have and can "celebrate a passion" I went on to explain!
"The thing I am most passionate about after being a chef is travel" I am passionate about travel because when traveling I feel free and a part of other worlds. I enjoy speaking some words of three foreign languages, speaking two more fluently in addition to English. I love eating new, old and different foods & drinks with wooden sticks, bamboo cups and remembering to only use my right hand in the motherland. I get high on things like collecting stamps in my passport, my platimum status on American Airlines, An ocean view suite on a cruise ship or chilling in the sleeper cars on Amtrak. I am committed to labels like hunger prevention in Haiti, human rights in Tibet and the African Diaspora. So what if I can pass on the Louie or crack!
I have studied and worked hard and long to earn my title and profession. I get paid well and can afford to spend my coins how and whenever I want. Successful people continue to be successful because we don't spend a lot of time being held back or pulled down by unhappy and bitter crabs at the bottom of the barrel. My many friends and family around the world have blessed me with knowledge, companionship and some helluva good times. Oh Yeah, I have slept with a few of them a long the way but mostly I have celebrated my passion to see, know and learn about all the things that are out there beyond the commute to and from work. Sorry you are under the weather, let me suggest a nice pina colada, fresh shrimp and a poo poo platter on the other side of the world and I can even introduce you to some hot trade too!
In 2009 I promise continue to be passionate about my love affair with travel.
I define my travels and refuse to let my travels define me!

No comments: